Updated: May 18, 2021
This is an old standby of mine. At any time of year when I want something warm and comforting, this will hit the spot. And sometimes...you just want to feel Fall during Spring!
This is a creamy and silky soup which is savory and sweet with a little salty crispy bacon on top to add crunchy texture. The butternut squash and apple are roasted which brings out the sweetness even more.
It's like a comforting and toasty blanket for your belly!
Butternut squash cut into 1/2 inch cubes (1, large)
Leeks (2, medium)
Garlic (3, cloves)
Granny smith apple cored and cubed (1)
Sage leaves (2)
Thyme sprigs (3)
Bay leave (1)
Olive oil (2 tbs)
Chicken broth (4 cups)
Butter (2 tbs)
Heavy cream (1/2 cup + more for garnish)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Bacon (4 strips)
Chives for garnish
Preheat oven to 400F.
Line baking pan with parchment paper.
Place bacon in single row on parchment paper.
Bake for 18-20 minutes until crispy.
Remove from oven and place on paper towels to drain.
Cut bacon into bite size pieces
Set aside later for garnish.
Roast butternut squash and apples:
Set oven to 400F.
Spread butternut squash and apples on baking sheet.
Add olive oil (1 tbs).
Add sage and thyme.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Roast in oven for 2o minutes.
1. Melt butter (2 tbs) in pan.
2. Add Leeks (2, sliced) in pan and sautee for 2 - 3 minutes.
3. Add garlic and sautee until fragrant.
4. Add roasted butternut squash and apple and the bay leaf.
5. Pour in chicken broth and let simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Remove bay leaf.
7. With either an immersion blender or regular blender, puree the soup.
8. Add heavy cream (1/2 cup), let cream warm through 10 minutes on medium low heat.
9. Salt and pepper to taste.
10. Garnish with bacon, fresh, chives, and more cream. Serve with crusty bread.